Name of Activity: Tapas – Pa amb Oli
Materials: Sliced rye bread, garlic cloves, tomatoes, olive oil, olive sprayer, salt, serving utensils, plates, toaster oven.
The recipe came from: http://www.spain-recipes.com/spanish_tapas.html
Presentation of the Lesson:
1. Teacher arranges bread on tray. Lay out tongs.
2. Teacher slices garlic thinly; arranges on tray. Lay out tongs.
3. Teacher slices tomatoes; arranges on tray. Lay out tongs.
4. Teacher pumps oil sprayer.
5. Teacher sets out salt shaker.
6. Invite children to the lesson. Give the name of the work: Pa amb Oli (bread with olive oil).
Explain that Tapas is a traditional snack or sometimes lunch in
. Tapas are an Spain
important part of Spanish cuisine. Tapas restaurants are very popular in
7. Have the children each place one slice of bread in the toaster oven.
8. Toast the bread in the toaster oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 5-10 minutes or until golden
9. Demonstrate how to remove a slice of bread and place on a plate. Rub the bread with one
slice of garlic, then discard garlic. Rub bread with one slice of tomato, squeezing juice
and pulp onto bread. Pump two sprays of olive oil onto bread. Sprinkle with salt.
Sources: Based on a presentation by
, Practical Life Instructor, Debra Gorman Cagle MTA/IUSB, 2011.
, Lois Burns MTA/IUSB, 2012.